FORGOT YOUR DETAILS?

Whether from flood water damage or a flooded basement, water damage cleanup should be trusted to an experienced, well-trained water restoration service.  Allied 24/7 is the trusted water damage service authority in Kalispell, the Flathead Valley and all of Montana.

MOLD

SUSPICION OF HIDDEN MOLD PROBLEMS

You may suspect hidden mold if a building smells moldy, but you cannot see the source, or if you know there has been water damage and residents are reporting health problems. Mold may be hidden in places such as the back side of dry wall, wallpaper, or paneling, the top side of ceiling tiles, the underside of carpets and pads, etc. Other possible locations of hidden mold include areas inside walls around pipes (with leaking or condensing pipes), the surface of walls behind furniture (where condensation forms), inside ductwork, and in roof materials above ceiling tiles (due to roof leaks or insufficient insulation).

INVESTIGATING HIDDEN MOLD PROBLEMS

Investigating hidden mold problems may be difficult and will require caution when the investigation involves disturbing potential sites of mold growth. For example, removal of wallpaper can lead to a massive release of spores if there is mold growing on the underside of the paper. If you believe that you may have a hidden mold problem, consider hiring an experienced professional.

BLACK MOLD

The most infamous species, S. chartarum (also known as S. atra) and S. chlorohalonata are known as “black mold” or “toxic black mold” in the U.S. and are frequently associated with poor indoor air quality that arises after fungal growth on water-damaged building materials.  Black mold is a greenish-black in color and patches of it often grow quickly over an area.  For black mold removal, you should always contact a damage restoration service.  Allied 24/7 has extensive experience, traing and the proper equipment for mold remediation.  After clean up, fix leaky pipes, add better ventilation to a humid bathroom or install a dehumidifier to a damp basement. Dry out the rooms you find mold in to prevent additional mold from forming.

CLEANUP AND BIOCIDES

Biocides are substances that can destroy living organisms. The use of a chemical or biocide that kills organisms such as mold (chlorine bleach, for example) is not recommended as a routine practice during mold cleanup. There may be instances, however, when professional judgment may indicate its use (for example, when immune-compromised individuals are present). In most cases, it is not possible or desirable to sterilize an area; a background level of mold spores will remain – these spores will not grow if the moisture problem has been resolved.

To read more click here http://www.epa.gov/mold/hiddenmold.html

WHY IS MOLD GROWING IN MY HOME?

Molds are part of the natural environment. Outdoors, molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees, but indoors, mold growth should be avoided. Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air. Mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet. There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture.

CAN MOLD CAUSE HEALTH PROBLEMS?

Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Allergic reactions to mold are common. They can be immediate or delayed. Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people. Symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported as a result of inhaling mold. Research on mold and health effects is ongoing. This brochure provides a brief overview; it does not describe all potential health effects related to mold exposure. For more detailed information consult a health professional. You may also wish to consult your state or local health department.

HOW DO I GET RID OF MOLD?

It is impossible to get rid of all mold and mold spores indoors; some mold spores will be found floating through the air and in house dust. The mold spores will not grow if moisture is not present. Indoor mold growth can and should be prevented or controlled by controlling moisture indoors. If there is mold growth in your home, you must clean up the mold and fix the water problem. If you clean up the mold, but don’t fix the water problem, then, most likely, the mold problem will come back.

To read more click here http://www.epa.gov/mold/moldbasics.html

For more details on black mold removal and mold damage restoration, contact the most experienced damage restoration service in the Flathead Valley, Montana, Allied 24/7 Restoration. (406)756-4357

 

TOP