Will Mold Die If Moisture Is Removed?

by Allied / Sunday, 01 November 2020 / Published in Mold Remediation, Water Damage

As a homeowner, you will want to ensure that everything that could damage your property and risk your family’s health is dealt with as soon as possible. Mold infestation is one such issue, and it could put a damper on what would otherwise be your ideal home. Read on to find out how mold thrives and what you can do about it rather than walking away from your moldy home

Conditions that Contribute to Mold Growth

One of the most alarming aspects of mold is that it doesn’t need a lot to grow and thrive. With adequate moisture and a nearby food source, mold spores will quickly multiply and grow out of control. 

The most significant contributing factor to mold growth is moisture. This is especially the case in damp indoor areas such as basements and bathrooms where mold infestation is common.  

Apart from moisture, mold also needs sufficient nutrients. This is present in a surprisingly wide variety of materials and substances, including wood, drywall, paper, or any other type of organic material. If you have any of these materials in a damp area in your home, mold growth is almost certainly assured. 

Can Mold Spores Survive Without Moisture?

So far, we’ve established that mold needs moisture to grow and thrive. But what if the humidity is removed? Will mold continue to live? 

An interesting thing happens when mold spores no longer have water to supply their needs: they enter a sort of ‘sleep’ state. Now, keep in mind that mold spores do not actually die. When moisture is restored, most types of mold will quickly wake up from their ‘sleep’. Some mold varieties are even known to remain in a sleep state for hundreds of years under optimum conditions. 

What does this mean for homeowners who want to get rid of mold? Simply put, it isn’t enough to get rid of moisture if you’re going to solve your mold problem. You will also have to eliminate the dormant mold spores and get rid of any nearby materials that have mold spores on them. This is the best way to ensure that the mold does not come back.  

Can Dry Mold Spores Cause Harm?

Many people think that getting rid of the obvious signs of mold infestation is the end of their problems. But even small amounts of dried out mold spores can be harmful to human health. 

You don’t even have to touch or eat the mold for it to cause harm. Mold spores are extremely tiny and are, in fact, microscopic. This means that they can be inhaled very easily and make their way into the air passages and the lungs. Once in the body, mold spores can cause several health issues. 

Health Issues Caused by Mold 

Numerous studies have shown that mold exposure increases the risk of respiratory disease significantly. Among the most common health issues caused by exposure to mold are: 

  • Allergies 
  • Asthma, wheezing, and other respiratory issues 
  • Eye, nose, and skin irritation 
  • Headaches
  • Fatigue

In some cases, mold exposure can even cause mental confusion. In more severe cases, chronic or long-term mold exposure can cause serious neurological problems. 

How to Deal with Mold 

Killing the mold or causing it to dry out isn’t enough. It is necessary to remove all traces of mold completely to ensure that it doesn’t cause any more problems in the future. 

Thorough mold removal is beyond the capabilities of most homeowners. It is always best to have the mold removed by a professional service. Commercial mold removing companies have the tools, equipment, and qualified personnel to properly deal with mold infestation. They can fix any sources of moisture and eliminate all traces of mold. 

More importantly, mold removal services have the experience and technical knowledge to deal with mold problems effectively. With their extensive experience, they can solve even the most stubborn cases of mold and ensure that it doesn’t return. 

Mold infestation can be much more than an annoyance. It could cause significant damage to the property before it is detected and pose serious health risks. As a homeowner, you will want to address any mold situation as soon as possible so you can prevent mold from causing long-term damage and devaluing your property.

By hiring a qualified mold removal firm, you will hopefully reduce the damage that mold infestation causes and protect your home investment while ensuring your family’s continued good health.