What Causes Mold in My Home?
It creeps in quietly, unexpectedly, but mold can cause a huge problem for homeowners. From health issues to damaged items, no homeowner wants to notice those little black or green spots that signify a mold issue. Instead, there are somethings you can do to ensure your home stays mold-free!
What causes mold:
Mold likes warm, damp places to grow. This is why some of the most common spots for mold growth is in bathrooms or behind wallpaper in the winter. We crank up the heat or use a hot shower, but don’t properly circulate the air to keep it from staying warm and wet.
How to prevent mold:
Mold is fast acting, and once spores find a warm, moist place to land, they can become a big problem in a short amount of time. However, there are some easy ways to prevent mold and mildew in your home. Use these tips to prevent mold growth before it becomes an issue:
- Keep humidity low
- Clean up spills and leaks immediately
- Ensure all rooms have proper ventilation
- And make sure your ducts are cleaned regularly
- Use fans, especially those in bathrooms or other warm places
- Regularly clean places where moisture accumulates, such as window sills
- Don’t allow standing water near your home
- Keep a vigilant eye out for signs of mold growth
Sometimes, we can be as vigilant as possible, but some mold or mildew sneaks in. Keep an eye out for these signs of mold growth:
- Increased allergies or symptoms of allergies, including red eyes, irritated nose and throat, sneezing, coughing or congestion
- Physical signs of mold growth, such as discoloration or gray/black/green spotting
- A stale or moldy smell
About mold remediation:
If the worst does occur and you find mold growth in your home, the best course of action is to deal with the issue immediately. Here are a few steps you can take after discovering mold:
- Dry the area out using a fan or dehumidifier
- Remove any items that have mold on them, such as rugs or clothing
- Find the source of the issue
If the mold is covering a large area or is difficult to reach, the best thing to do is call a mold remediation company such as Allied 24/7 Property Restoration to assist with clean up. Professional restoration companies have the tools and techniques to safely remove and dispose of mold, as well as spot issues that need to be fixed to prevent future problems.
If you are concerned about mold in your home, or you need information on mold prevention, call the experts at Allied 24/7 Property Restoration and schedule an appointment today.