Symptoms of mold — What are some black mold health effects?
Homeownership comes with plenty of responsibilities, from mowing the lawn to paying the bills. But sometimes, the responsibilities are unseen ones, like recognizing and removing toxic black mold.
Often, black mold grows in areas that are unseen to the human eye — behind wall hangings or shelves, in drywall, under carpeting. Black mold feeds off damp organic material; in homes, this can include drywall, carpet, insulation or flooring that has been exposed to moisture.
Black mold exposure is not only detrimental to your home but also harmful to your health. Inhaling spore from the mold (also known as Stachybotrys chartarum to scientists) can cause a range of irritating and dangerous symptoms in humans and pets.
Black mold health effects include:
Chronic coughing or sneezing
Eye irritation, red eyes, blurry or worsening vision
Respiratory issues, such as difficulty breathing, sore throat, swollen lungs
Irritated mucus membranes in the nose and throat, including a stuffed or a runny nose, or nosebleeds
Black mold poisoning, or prolonged exposure to toxic mold, has also been known to cause neurological issues, including affecting a person’s mental and cognitive abilities.
If you discover black mold in your home, or you experience some symptoms similar to the above list, you should consult a doctor immediately. Once the black mold is removed from the home, symptoms of mold poisoning generally decrease and stop over time. However, prolonged exposure for many months or even years can cause permanent damage.