FORGOT YOUR DETAILS?

How to Prevent Home Fire Damage in Montana

by Allied / Thursday, 17 August 2017 / Published in Fire Damage Restoration

Wild fire season is upon us, and as everyone knows, sometimes fire damage in Montana is simply unavoidable. There are, however, some common-sense steps that can be taken to minimize the risk of your home experiencing a house fire.

While it may seem like preventing a house fire can be boiled down to a few simple solutions, it is important that homeowners remain consistently on guard to ensure that their families and property are safe and sound. Here are just a few of the easiest steps that homeowners can take to minimize the possibility for fire damage in Montana:

  • Check the wiring: Electrical fires are one of the most common causes of fire damage in Montana. It is extremely important that you check the electrical cords in your home for signs of fraying or other degradation, and replace any questionable-looking cords. Additionally, overloading your home’s circuits can cause the electrical system to overheat or spark—learn about your system’s capacity, and pay attention to your electrical load!
  • Don’t be careless in the kitchen: Cooking fires can occur in an instant, and cause a devastating amount of damage in a very short period of time. Avoid kitchen fires by never leaving pans unattended on a hot stove, keeping a fire extinguisher within easy access of your oven, and keeping your burners and countertops clean. Grease buildups can be ignited easily, and are extremely difficult to put out once they are burning.
  • Be careful with your clothes: Washers and dryers are another common source of house fires. Make sure that your dryer vent is cleaned out regularly, and always empty your dryer’s lint trap before and after starting a load of laundry. It is possible for lint to accumulate underneath and to the sides of your laundry gear, so be sure to clean around your washer and dryer units frequently in order to avoid a lint buildup.
  • Avoid shoddy alternative heating: Space heaters can be a great way to reduce your carbon footprint and save on your electricity bills. Unfortunately, however, they can also become fire hazardous if great care is not exercised during their purchase and operation. Older space heaters may contain elements that are raised to unsafe temperatures, and new space heaters should be UL certified to ensure that they are safe for operations. Space heaters should also never be placed within close proximity to furniture, curtains or flammable substances.
  • Clean your chimney: There’s nothing quite as nice as an evening by the fire. Making sure that your chimney has been properly cleaned will make it much easier to enjoy yourself if you plan on spending a cozy evening in, however! You can avoid fire damage in Montana by ensuring that your wood-fired chimney is cleaned regularly, and that the manufacturer’s recommendations are followed when using fireplace alternatives, such as pellet stoves.

Allied 24/7 Property Restoration is the premier fire damage restoration service in Montana. We provide a large number of property restoration services, and are known for our dedication to helping prevent further home damage after our restoration work is complete. To learn more about how we can help families and businesses move forward after a devastating event, such as a fire, reach out to one of our knowledgeable team members today!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

TOP