Does Insurance Cover Flood Restoration?

by Allied / Friday, 13 March 2020 / Published in Flood Restoration

It’s common for homeowners insurance to cover personal property that has been damaged or stolen during crimes or natural disasters. In fact, most policies are known to fully cover many conditions, ranging from theft and fire damage to some forms of storm and water damage.

It’s easy to think that if insurance policies cover these types of losses, then it should cover flooding. However, that’s not always the case. To learn more, keep reading below!

What is flood restoration?

Flood restoration is a professional service that many companies offer. If your home floods during an accident or natural disaster, you can hire someone to come in and clean up the damage. This includes removing the water, repairing the space, and restoring it to its original state. 

Does insurance cover it?

Many people believe homeowners policies should cover flooding and flood restoration. However, that’s simply not the case. Certain types of water damage can be covered if its sudden, such as wind and rain ruining the floors of your front entryway. However, full and excess flooding is different.

Unfortunately, standard homeowners insurance does not cover flooding and flood restoration. To have flood insurance, you will need to have a separate policy that is designed for flooding alone. Luckily, there are many different options available to homeowners.

Types of flood insurance

Flood insurance is typically issued by the National Flood Insurance Program. They sell it to homeowners through Direct Servicing Agents or the Write Your Own program. If you live within one of the NFIP’s participating communities, you can get a DSA policy. If you are outside of that network, you can do a WYO.

Not interested in going through NFIP? You can do private flood insurance. Additionally, you can add excess flood insurance to any policy to you purchase. This is to provide increased coverage for homes that may be over the standard $250,000 coverage limit. 

Is flood insurance necessary?

It might seem like flood insurance is not necessary if it’s not typically included in homeowners policies. However, it can be very important depending on your flood risk. If you’re not sure how at risk you are, you should look at the zone you are in.

Zone A

This is a high risk area with at least a 1% chance of flooding. If you live here, you will be required to buy flood insurance in addition to your homeowners policy.

Zone B

This is a moderate to low risk area. You aren’t required to purchase flood insurance in this zone, but it is highly recommended. 

Zone C

This is a low risk area. Flooding is unlikely but it’s not impossible. Therefore, you are advised to do what you feel is best given your specific circumstances. You can get flood insurance, but it’s definitely not required. 

Flood Restoration Services

If you’re ever in need of flood restoration services in Montana, Allied 24/7 Restoration is here for you. We have been serving the region for many years and are experts when it comes to restoration, especially flood restoration. We can help you get your home or business back to working order in no time, no matter how bad the damage may be.
Don’t trust just anyone with flood restoration services- contact Allied 24/7 to get the job done right!