Black Mold Test: 5 Signs to Look for

by Allied / Monday, 22 January 2018 / Published in Mold Remediation

Mold can grow in almost any place in your home, given the right circumstances. When it’s in an obvious place, such as the bathroom ceiling, you might notice it quickly. However, not every mold growth is obvious. Sometimes, it sneaks in the cracks of a wall or in an attic, where it can go unchecked for long periods of time.

If mold is left unchecked, it can cause health issues for your family or structural issues for your home. Here are five signs that you might have hidden mold in your home.

  1. A questionable smell

    If you smell something stale or moldy, pay attention. This is one of the simplest signs that there may be an issue. It could be hidden behind walls, in ceilings or even in HVAC units. Notice when you can smell the odor, because it could clue you in to where the mold is located.

  2. Water leaks or condensation

    Mold often grows in places that are warm and wet. If there is a water leak or place where water gathers in your home, pay close attention. Leaks can often be hidden in walls, under sinks or in attics, and if left unchecked for a long time, mold can develop.

  3. Peeling paint

    Flaking paint or peeling wallpaper may be a sign of moisture in the room, which could lead to mold.

  4. Rust

    Rusting in the home is another sign of moisture of condensation. Look at nails or other metal items in the home to check for rust.

  5. Poor ventilation

    If a room or home has no ventilation, it leaves room for mold to develop over time. Mold can also grow or be transported via dust, so if dust is not removed properly through HVAC systems, it could cause mold to grow.

Other common signs can include:

  • Leaks in exterior wall shower valve, on/off valves for sink water supply, along the wax rings under toilets, or anywhere there is a water valve or join in drainage
  • Prolonged health conditions, such as chest congestion and coughing
  • Swollen nail pops. To find these, hold a flashlight along the wall and look for pits or bumps in the wall.

If you notice one or more of these signs in your home, it may be time to call a professional to assess the situation. If left unchecked, mold can cause health problems for your family, as well as compromise the structural integrity of your home.

Have you noticed one or more of these signs in your home? Give us a call to schedule your service.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *